Are You Having Trouble Communicating with Your Lawyer?

Our Client Relations Committee helps you communicate with your lawyer about issues that do not involve a fee dispute.
  • Do you feel that your lawyer is not doing what you asked?
  • Is your lawyer not returning your calls?
  • Are you not getting the documents you requested?

We can help you communicate with your lawyer, and we are proud to offer this service to you for free if the attorney involved practices law in Contra Costa County.

We understand that the legal system can be confusing, and our “Client Relations Committee” has proven to be a valuable service to many members of the community, and attorneys, every year.

Steps to Filing Your Complaint

If you want to file a complaint other than a fee dispute, you’re in the right place.

No fee is charged to file a complaint, and you do not need to make a personal appearance.

However, you must file a complaint by mail. No phone calls will be taken regarding complaints.

  1. You must send the committee a written request of your complaint in the mail. Client Request for Assistance:
    Download this form and fill it out completely.
  2. Mail your request and any attachments to:

    Contra Costa County Bar Association
    Attn: Client Relations Committee
    2300 Clayton Road, Suite 520
    Concord CA 94520

back to top

What Happens Next

Once the committee receives your complaint by mail, they will review it within one week.

The committee may decide to do any one of the following:

  • Contact your attorney and discuss your complaint
  • Request that he or she contact you regarding your issues
  • Suggest alternatives for handling your complaint

It takes time for the Committee to review your complaint and respond appropriately. You will hear what the committee has recommended or done within a month, but often sooner. Please have patience!

What the Committee Cannot Do

There are certain things our “Client Relations Committee” cannot do, as determined by law. The committee cannot:

  • Act as your attorney or otherwise represent you
  • Give you legal advice regarding the substance of your case
  • Discipline your attorney or force him or her to do anything
  • Recover any money for you or retrieve any property
  • Stop or suspend any of your ongoing court proceedings

Please remember: What the Committee recommends, or its opinion on your complaint, is not enforceable by law.

Contact Us

Remember, you cannot file a complaint over the phone. But if you have any questions about how to file by mail after reviewing this material, please contact:

Anne Wolf
Phone: (925) 370-2540

back to top