2017 Cuba Cultural & MCLE Trip
The Contra Costa County Bar Association, in conjunction with our colleagues at the Alameda County Bar, invite you to visit Cuba, and learn about the legal community there! The dates for this trip are set for Saturday, February 18 - Friday, February 24, 2017. Please see the itinerary and registration form for more detailed information including pricing*.
We will be traveling under the auspices of Cuba Cultural Travel, an organization that has specialized in travel to Cuba since 1998. Our journey will take us to Havana, the capital of the country and its commercial and cultural center since colonial times. You will experience the wonderful rustic charm of a city that has remained largely unchanged for over 50 years. You will meet the Cuban people and learn about daily life in this amazing, complex city.
Cuba has a rich and varied cultural heritage. Since the revolution, there has been an aggressive program of cultural reforms that has promoted artistic talent on the island. The result is a highly respected collection of art, music, and dance institutions and academies that have gained international acclaim. Even in the face of economic difficulties, Cuba continues to place a high value on artistic creativity and maintains its cultural integrity.
During our stay, we will be hosted by a variety of local scholars, attorneys and artists who will offer in-depth commentary on the Cuban legal system, art, history, architecture, and religion. We will meet many leading artists in their studios, attend private dance and music performances and enjoy the company of students, professors, and historians. Throughout our tour we will enjoy the type of intimate personal exchanges that build lifelong relationships.
This trip will not only bring us together with the people of Cuba, but will enable us to develop friendships and a new understanding of the rich and varied cultural fabric of this unique island nation. A true people-to-people exchange!
Our private journey (space is limited) includes the following:
- Thought-provoking lectures by renowned intellectuals, scholars and legal experts.
NOTE: Many of our lectures will qualify for MCLE credit
- Private performances and reception by prominent dance companies and musicians
- Exploration of the fascinating neighborhoods of Havana in the company of an architect and historian
- Day trip to the stunning Viñales Valley known for the finest tobacco produced in the world
Saturday February 18 through Friday February 24, 2017
* Please note that the quoted trip cost does not include airfare to/from Cuba. New commercial airfare routes into Havana from the West Coast will be announced soon. We anticipate fares being around $700 round trip and attendees may be eligible to use frequent flier miles as commercial airlines in the United States are awarded new direct routes to Cuba. Information about flights will be sent to you as soon as it is available.
Please contact Dani Perez (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any programming requests or substantive areas of law you may be interested in exploring further during our visit to Cuba. The program can be adapted to the interests of those participating in this exclusive journey.
We will ask for a deposit to hold your place(s), to be received by October 21, 2016. For general information and frequently asked questions, please go to www.cubaculturaltravel.com.
I hope that you will be able to join us on this fantastic trip!
Theresa Hurley, Executive Director, CCCBA