Judicial Profile: Department 39
Honorable Edward G. Weil
- Biographical Information
- B.A., Political Science, J.D., Master of City & Regional Planning, University of California, Berkeley
- Pre-bench Legal Experience:
- U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development, Office of General Counsel, Washington, D.C., 1980-1984
San Francisco Neighborhood Legal Assistance Foundation, 1984-1988
California Attorney General's Office, Environment Section, 1988-2009
- Political Affiliation:
- Judicial Experience
- General Criminal assignments, Pittsburg, Richmond. Supervising Judge in Richmond 2012. Currently assigned to Family Law, Martinez.
- Pre-bench Civic & Professional Activities
- Various school and youth sports activities
- Current Civic & Professional Activities
- Continuing Legal Education Faculty
- Important published decisions(s)
- Recent publications
- "Are Settlement Talks Confidential?" California Lawyer, November, 2009.
- Courtroom Policies
- Typical weekly schedule
- Short-cause calendar weeks alternating with long-cause calendar weeks. Cases with both parties self-represented heard each Tuesday morning.
- Telephone appearances by advance wirtten permission in accordance with CRC and local rules.
- Settlement Conferences
- In Limine Motions
- Voir dire
- Jury Instructions
- Court reporters and translators
- Computers in the courtroom
- Cameras in the courtroom
- Case by case.
- Be prompt, be courteous, be concise.